I know how convenient wipes are and how much you love them. I get it because I love wipes too and have even created a line of wipes to maybe launch down the line but here’s the thing! Store-Bought cleansing / makeup / baby / disinfecting wipes are a massive burden to the planet and a constant foe to your skin, limiting its ability to be radiant and healthy because it is fighting this daily battle while creating exactly the dry, sensitive, congested and inflamed skin that you don’t want.
When it comes to our Mother Earth (and Her wellness should be as much a priority as our own), there are two major reasons why wipes are incredibly burdensome. The first and “The biggest environmental problem with makeup remover wipes is the sheer volume,” says Diana Felton MD, state toxicologist with the Hawaii Department of Health. “One group estimates that 20 million pounds of single-use wipes (including baby wipes and disinfecting wipes) are disposed of every day in the U.S. And despite claims to the contrary, most are not biodegradable and do not rapidly break down, creating too much trash to fit in our landfills.” That last sentence is important because 1) “despite claims of biodegradability” means we do not know if we can even trust the product and what it says itself to be and 2) if there is too much to fit in landfills then clearly that overflow is drifting elsewhere… think rivers, oceans and streams as well as nature’s land-masses and natural open spaces like fields, forests, mountain trails & valleys.
The second major reason why wipes are destructive to Mother Earth is that the majority of them (and yep, even the most popular ones who knowing their influence choose to ignore their ethical responsibility to do better) are made from non-biodegradable plastic fibers like polyester, polypropylene, and rayon. These fibers contaminate the environment and block waterways after becoming massive molten and gooey blobs that become so unmanageable that they cannot be removed and are resilient to wastewater treatment.
Now let’s talk about what these wipes are actually doing to your (and your baby’s) skin…
The industrial and synthetic chemicals in wipes are probably worse than the ingredients in your other skin care products and I say that because while you may look to avoid phthalates, triclosan, and parabens these endocrine disruptors and skin irritants are all in your wipes (which you use regularly). And, if that were not enough, many of these products recommend that you don’t need to rinse afterward leaving that residue to linger and wreak havoc on your face, hands and baby’s bum.
And then to make matters worse, you are using these to wipe, tug and rub around your eyes, an especially fragile and vulnerable area already stressed from modern elements getting in the way of any semblance of comfort and balance. You want a brighter eye with softer lines, right?
So, can’t talk about problems without offering solutions, and I have a few for you:
- Use our Bundle of Wipes instead!
- Make a promise that if your eye and face makeup cannot be removed with a damp cotton wipe and some coconut or sweet almond oil, then you find makeup that can. This is why I LOVE RMS Beauty and 100% Pure. Both of their mascaras do not flake and they come off with a wipe and warm water!
- Unless your career or random event demands this heavy makeup be more mindful of how you are wearing it. Try blending your foundation with your Crème de la Crème to act as a primer and make removing it much easier. And if you are wearing a lot of face makeup to hide your troubled skin, definitely get ready for our new eBook this spring that will help you wean off the makeup and bring out your au-naturel glow instead. For decades, I have been doing this for my clients who are hooked on the foundation and it’s time for all of you to also benefit. Otherwise, how will you ever have the gorgeous skin and the everlasting results you want?
- Carry your Bundle Of Wipes in your gym bag if they are part of your post-workout routine.
- If you are using A LOT of wipes, definitely slow down and ask yourself if this is really necessary or if it’s a habit you are barely paying attention to. From there, use less disposable cotton ones – like our Bundle of Wipes – and include the use of reusable cotton rounds too.
IN SUMMARY it’s about time we swap out commercial wipes for soft cotton ones instead. 4×4’s are the perfect size for drenching in hydrosols or warm water. Wring out, put a few drops of oil or a dollop of crème on top and swipe across face, neck, décolleté and eyes.
And, rest assured, our wipes are 100% cotton, gentle on the skin and the planet. Yep, you can compost them.
Let using these be your new healthy habit.